Chicago Authors Program: Al Gore Book Signing
In collaboration with the Union League Club of Chicago, Marquette alumni are invited to attend the Authors Group program and luncheon. The first of many offerings, these programs will enable Marquette alumni to network with other Chicago club and civic institution members and gain a better understanding of world affairs, learn about historical events and be inspired to reach your full potential.
Join us at the Union League Club on Friday, February 8 for a noon luncheon and program that will feature Al Gore discussing his new book, The Future, Six Drivers of Global Change. (Books will be available for signing and purchase at the event).
Friday, February 8, 2013
11:30 a.m. Reception
12:00 p.m. Luncheon & Program
Union League Club of Chicago
65 W Jackson Blvd
Cost of Event: $40.00
Ours is a time of revolutionary change that has no precedent in history. With the same passion he brought to the challenge of climate change, and with his decades of experience on the front lines of global policy, Al Gore surveys our planet's beclouded horizon and offers a sober, learned, and ultimately hopeful forecast in the visionary tradition of Alvin Toffler's Future Shock and John Naisbitt's Megatrends. In The Future, Gore identifies the emerging forces that are reshaping our world, some of which are noted below:
• Ever-increasing economic globalization has led to the emergence of what he labels “Earth Inc.”—an integrated holistic entity with a new and different relationship to capital, labor, consumer markets, and national governments.
• The worldwide digital communications, Internet, and computer revolutions have led to the emergence of “the Global Mind,” which links the thoughts and feelings of billions of people and connects intelligent machines, robots, ubiquitous sensors, and databases.
• The balance of global political, economic, and military power is shifting more profoundly than at any time in the last five hundred years—from a U.S.-centered system to one with multiple emerging centers of power, from nation-states to private actors, and from political systems to markets.
• A deeply flawed economic compass is leading us to unsustainable growth in consumption, pollution flows, and depletion of the planet’s strategic resources of topsoil, freshwater, and living species.
• Genomic, biotechnology, neuroscience, and life sciences revolutions are radically transforming the fields of medicine, agriculture, and molecular science—and are putting control of evolution in human hands.
(Books will be available for signing and purchase at the event).
The Union League Club dress code is business casual. Blue jeans are not permitted.
For questions or special needs, contact Randi Bergey at (312) 726-4477 or email@example.com